Arroz de Grelos


While ignoring my homework and catching up on Facebook I ran across a post by from 196 Flavors for a Portuguese rice dish. As luck would have it, I had all of the ingredients on hand and it was lunch time. So Portuguese it was.

When I first saw it I thought it would be cooked like risotto with the constant stirring, instead it was one of the simplest things I have ever cooked. I hope you try it as a simple lunch or easy side dish with chicken or fish.

1 1/2 c. rice
5 c. water
4 - 5 large Swiss chard leaves, chopped
2 green onions, whites and green parts, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cube bouillon (chicken or vegetable)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Add the olive oil to a medium sized pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and green onions and cook just until fragrant. Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring every few seconds, until coated with the olive oil and starting to toast. 

Add the Swiss chard, water, bouillon cube, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil an then reduce the heat to medium low and cover the pan. 

Simmer until tender. Check for salt and serve immediately.


Comments

Popular Posts