Tabbouli


Tabouli is a really refreshing chopped herb salad. I grew up eating the kind from the box, the one that is mostly bulgur with a few dried herbs in there for color I think. It wasn't until I was older that I realized that was backwards, the salad should have just a sprinkle of bulgur and that's it.

I live in a small town, and bulgur was not something I could find, anywhere. So I did use one of those boxed kinds. Try and pick one where the seasoning packet is separate so it's just the bulgur. If none are available it's pro ably still fine, the probably is they have so little flavor so I can't imagine they would really negatively affect it at all. Use however much you need and store the rest in a Ziploc bag.


2 bunches flat leaf parsley
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
1/4 c. bulgur
1 small tomato, chopped fine, seeds removed
1/2 c. minced cucumber
2 green onions, sliced fine
1/2 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
Pinch cinnamon
2 large pinches allspice
Salt & pepper to taste

Combine the bulgur and a scant 1/2 c. really hot water. Stir to mix well and chill for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the olive oil, juice from 1/2 a lemon, green onions, tomato, cucumber, mint, spices, pepper, and salt.

Chop the parsley fine and toss with the dressing and the bulgur. Chill until ready to serve.





Comments

Popular Posts